Jyl22075

Tackling Mt. TBR

Game of Thrones - DNF (at least for now.)

A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

I've been in a bit of a book funk lately. Last month I read nothing that garnered over 3.5 stars. This month I've started three books and put all of them down because they just weren't working for me at that moment. Two of them I will definitely get back to, but this one is iffy.

The deal is that Game of Thrones is not a typical read for me. I've never even attempted a high fantasy book before because I've had less that zero interest. However, I started watching the TV show recently and it piqued my interest. Would the books be as good as the show? Would it be my gateway book into a world of fantasy realms and dragons that didn't happen to be hunky shapeshifters?

In a nutshell, no, I don't believe this will be a gateway book for me. Whether it's as good as the show or not probably depends on the person.

The show is an extremely good adaptation in that it follows the book VERY closely. Most of the lines from the TV show are pulled directly out of the text. Which is probably excellent for people that read the books way before they started the TV show, but is less great if you are watching the TV show and reading the book at the same time.

Secondly, all those wonderful details on the show (wardrobe, scenery, etc) that are so great to look at on screen seem to turn into epic paragraph after epic paragraph in book format. I know some people love all that detail, but I'm just not one of them. It's so long and dull, because I don't care about the dude's helmet or horse or furniture. At least I don't care enough to read about it in minute detail.

So to sum it up, I know it must be an amazing book to make such an amazing TV show, but I'm just not sure it's for me. I might revisit this one later if the mood strikes me, but for now it goes on the DNF shelf.