Jyl22075

Tackling Mt. TBR

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation [Review]

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation - Simone Elkeles

I bought this book at a yard sale last summer for a quarter. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth. If I had paid full price, my feelings would be different.

The Good:

- The story takes place in Israel. That was actually the main reason I picked it up. I've never read a book set in Israel and seeing it through a teenager gives the reader a whole different perspective on things.

- I actually learned a few things I didn't know. So yay for learning! I also googled a lot of the stuff to see how accurate it was and to see what certain places looked like, so then I learned even more.

The Bad:

- I couldn't stand the main character. In the end the main character becomes a better person and all that jazz you get in YA books, but I wish the character growth would've started earlier in the book because by the time we got to it, I no longer cared.

- I found it hard to believe that a mother would let her teenage daughter go to Israel with her bio-dad that she only saw once a year. At least not without a lot of discussion first.

- It tried too hard to be funny and it failed.

Overall, the setting was the best part of this book.

I will be using this for B in my A to Z Challenge.