Jyl22075

Tackling Mt. TBR

Bitter Spirits [Review]

Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties) - Jenn Bennett

I had such high hopes for this book, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

The good:

- I liked the heroine, Aida. She was exactly what I had hoped for in a 1920s gal. And I liked her freckles.

- The setting. In a world where nearly all historical romances take place in regency or victorian England, putting out a book like this was a bit of a risk, but I liked visiting a different time period.

- The dialog. There were some really shining exchanges between Aida and Winter.

- Good job of sequel baiting. Enough to make you want to read them, but not so much that you feel like the whole first book is nothing but a cheap ploy to make you buy the next book.

The bad:

- The middle of this book was SO slow. It took me forever to muster up the energy to read it.

- The hero. He was just kind of blah. I didn't dislike him, I was almost indifferent to him. And I thought for a big bad bootlegger he was a bit too beta.

- The convoluted ghost plot. Just no.

Overall, I give it three stars. I will probably read the next book, but it's not going to be on my highly anticipated list.