Jyl22075

Tackling Mt. TBR

Red Hill [Review]

Red Hill - Jamie McGuire

So... I have seen countless reviews of other books by this author (most definitely mixed) but I had not read any of the Beautiful Disaster books because they didn't sound like my thing. When I saw someone talking about this book and realized it had zombies, I thought, okay, I'll give it a shot.

I neither loved nor hated the book. The fact of the matter is that it's very readable. I finished it much quicker than I thought I would. The book is told from three different first person POVs. They are all pretty different so I had no trouble keeping straight which person was "I" at any given time. There were a lot of zombies and the author wasn't afraid to kill off characters that the reader expected would survive.

I guess, my main issue (aside from how improbable certain things were, even by zombie apocalypse standards) was that I didn't really feel much attachment to any of the characters. So when one of them did get eaten, I didn't really care that much. I was surprised a couple of times, but I didn't feel any emotional connection to them. I was not invested in their survival.

I also felt like the author killed off a few people unnecessarily in order to emotionally manipulate the reader. One death in particular didn't really serve much purpose other than shock value. The death didn't really make sense either, because all these people were carrying around guns. If you see a zombie ten feet away from your kid, (which you should've been watching!) shoot it! And perhaps, do a better job supervising your child during the zombie apocalypse... just sayin'.

Aside from those things and a few editorial issues (editors at Simon and Schuster must have low standards) the book was a very readable and typical zombie book. Nothing especially groundbreaking, but if you love zombie books, you'll probably like it.