Jyl22075

Tackling Mt. TBR

Book Playlist Challenge - Day 17 - Folk

Any Duchess Will Do - Tessa Dare The Duke - Gaelen Foley The Distance Between Us - Kasie West 'Twas the Night After Christmas - Sabrina Jeffries Beauty and the Blacksmith (Spindle Cove, #3.5) - Tessa Dare

Today's theme is books that feature a poor or lower class hero or heroine. So, I tend to think historical for this type of theme and that is reflected in my choices. The lone contemporary book is The Distance Between Us which has a poor girl/rich guy thing going on. It's YA and I loved it.

Any Duchess Will Do (my favorite historical romance of last year!) is about a duke with an overbearing mother that REALLY wants him to marry. So, in an effort to get her to shut-up he tries to find the most unsuitable bride possible and picks... a barmaid. It's such a wonderful story.

The Duke is a book I read years and years ago. The heroine is a courtesan. This trope doesn't always work for me, but it did in this book. They fall in love, but the hero, mindful of his position asks her to be his mistress and she cannot accept that. There is a rather fabulous "grand gesture" at the end that sticks in my mind even now.

The Distance Between Us is, as I mentioned a poor girl/rich guy theme, but what made it interesting was that the girl is really anti-rich. She has certain prejudices about them, which I thought was a nice change of pace.

'Twas the Night After Christmas is a typical lord falls for the servant type of thing, but it did have a truly lovely Christmas feel to it.

With Beauty and the Blacksmith the name really says it all. Personally, I found this to be one of the less stellar Tessa Dare books I've read. At times I found it a bit silly. This is a pretty great sex scene in the blacksmith's shop though.