Jyl22075

Tackling Mt. TBR

The Ugly Duchess - Eloisa James Technically, I should have hated this book. It has two of my most hated pet peeves in it. A lengthy separation between the main characters and adultery. Plus, I found the hero to be a bit pathetic at times, especially in the beginning and the heroine became a bit rigid and cold.So, having said all that... I actually liked this book. Color me shocked! I think it must be a testament to Eloisa James's writing that I was able to enjoy a book with so many things I normally would hate. This book is separated into two sections: Before and After. Before is how James and Theo come to be married. I enjoyed this portion quite a bit. It was refreshing to see a hero come into a marriage with extremely limited sexual experience. He and Theo were on pretty even ground. I also really enjoyed the banter between them. The After portion starts after the moment that Theo realizes James's father pushed him in to marrying her. She sends him away and tells him never to return. And he actually leaves. (Hence why I wasn't a big fan of him.) James ends up becoming a pirate and Theo takes over running his estate... (not very plausible, but I went with it.) What follows is a rather angsty seven years. I honestly didn't see how they would ever work things out and so perhaps that is what made it so nice when they finally did. In the end it was two extremely imperfect people that made MANY mistakes and somehow found out they were perfect for each other. So despite the fact that I wasn't a wholehearted fan of either of them, I still couldn't help relishing the fact that they found their way back to one another.