Jyl22075

Tackling Mt. TBR

SPOILER ALERT!

South of Surrender (Hearts of the Anemoi, #3)

South of Surrender (Hearts of the Anemoi, #3) - Laura Kaye

I enjoyed this installment of the Hearts of the Anemoi series. It was better than West of Want but not as good as North of Need, which was the clear star of the series for me (at least so far.)

Chrys was a bit darker than I expected after reading the previous books, but he still had his sense of humor. I did get a bit frustrated at times because one of the tropes I really hate is the whole "I'm not worthy" hero that pushes the heroine away for "her own good" and Chrys had some of that going on. How about letting the woman decide for herself what is for her own good? Other than that though, I did find him likable and he's kind of a dirty talker which is a favorite of mine.

Laney was a good heroine and I thought her struggles with losing her vision rang true. She was a brave character and she wanted to protect those she cared about. It was nice that she accepted Chrys with his flaws rather than trying to fix him. I was really happy to see so much of Owen and Megan in this book and get updates on how they were doing. You also get to see Ella and Zeph and a host of other Gods.

I have to say I found Boreas's death to be extremely depressing. I'm not sure why it was ultimately necessary to kill him off. I think if it was solely for dramatic effect it was a bit much for me.

Despite a few bumps in the road I really enjoyed this book. I loved getting to see how the Gods interacted with one another. Talk about a crazy extended family! I'll admit that I had initially hoped that Eurus could be redeemed, but after this book, I don't think it's possible. It will be interesting to see what is up with Devlin and how they ultimately bring Eurus to justice.