Jyl22075

Tackling Mt. TBR

House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7)

House Rules  - Chloe Neill

So, I have been anxiously awaiting this book for months and was so excited to see Merit and Ethan again. As well as all my other favorites from this series. I must admit to being a tad let down.

The first half of this book was pretty slow going for me. The House politics got a bit tedious and I wasn't entirely invested in the secondary plot about the murderer either. This is the first time in the series where I have ever questioned why Merit and Cadogan house needed to even be involved in the outside drama. It just didn't really fit together well for me. Plus, I find it hard to believe that Ethan would hire someone from the outside to help with security for the House without having him thoroughly checked out first.

That being said the second half of the book was a huge improvement. There was significantly more action and the murder investigation came together a bit for me there at the end.

Merit and Ethan seem to be settling well into their relationship, although they definitely had a pretty major bump or two in this book. It was nice to see all my other favorites, even if only fleetingly.

The highlight of this book for me was finally finding out what type of shifter Jeff is. It should be noted that there is no dreaded cliffhanger on this one. There are, of course, loose ends and a whole mess of drama still to come, but nothing panic-inducing thankfully. Overall, a decent read. I will definitely be continuing the series, but this book was the least enjoyable for me so far in the series.