Jyl22075

Tackling Mt. TBR

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins

So, within my family this book got mixed reviews. My sister told me never to read it because it was too depressing. My mother said you HAVE to read it because it's so good. So, with all that in mind, I started The Hunger Games with a fairly neutral opinion (I have not seen the movie yet either.) I'm pleased to say that I agree with my mom. This book was really good. I'm not sure that it's quite as awesome as the hype would lead you to believe, but it's a really interesting read and it keeps you turning pages because you just NEED to see what is going to happen.

The world building is very well done. Panem is a brutal and unfair place but I didn't find the book overly dark. It's about what you would expect of a book that pits teens against each other in a fight-to-the-death style reality show.

I found all the characters pretty unique, I liked Katniss and Peeta well enough, but didn't outright love either one. I did love that Katniss was fierce and could take care of herself. And I like the dynamic between them. She is physically brave and he is emotionally brave and often times in books it's the other way around. I definitely look forward to watching how their relationship develops.My one major complaint about the book was the ending which I found extremely abrupt. I know it's a trilogy, but even so each book should have an ending, as opposed to just stopping. I wouldn't call it a cliffhanger, just an abrupt "end of book one." Overall, I really enjoyed it and it kept me on the edge of my seat. I will definitely read the rest of the books and I'm going to watch the movie as soon as possible. So, I guess mom is always right after all (just don't tell her I said that.)